Finale: to change key/time signature

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

youngcomposer

youngcomposer

Starving Musician

• Old Members
  • 14 posts
I have downloaded the Finale NotePad 2009 30-days trial version and I have a problem: When I try to change the key/time signature to a selected region the whole piece is transposed to this new key, and I have no idea how to change the time signature. Please, help me!

Camilla

Camilla

Advanced Composer

• Old Members
  • 239 posts
When you change the key there should be a list of times it can last for.. like.. "Measure x through to measure y", that's how you fix that. You can also select for it not to transpose, it says something like "hold pitches" etc.. and that way if you've just been writing in accidentals and change the key to make them redundant it'll just leave it at the same pitch and remove the accidentals. Perhaps these options aren't in notepad, but just check you haven't missed that.

For the time signature there should be a tool.. with a time signature on it.. or you can even go into one of the drop-down menus and select the tool that way.

My main advice to you would be to check things out yourself thoroughly and use the Finale help tool, it is really useful and you can search for anything you need. You really can't expect to use a new program without going through a good deal of trial and error yourself.

Camilla

robinjessome

robinjessome

• Members
  • 5,320 posts
As far as I understand, notepad is severely crippled, and will not allow time or key signature changes within a piece. I'm not sure at which level Finale will allow this, but it's a highly necessary function for which it's worth saving your pennies and spending a bit more on a higher version.

;)

Nightscape

Nightscape

Seasoned Composer

• Old Members
  • 601 posts
Yes, I'm afraid changing time signatures can become rather expensive rather quickly.

And don't even THINK about beaming across bar lines - unless of course you want to take out a second mortgage.

Dan Gilbert

Dan Gilbert

Like God, but Buttery

• Old Members
  • 451 posts
Printmusic! Although I think Songwriter will allow you to change the key sig within the piece. I still recommend printmusic. Under 60$. Worth the money though, even if you weren't looking to spend money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users