Photo

Battery life in laptops. Macbook pro or audio pc?

- - - - - music pc laptop battery life

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

NeeHoo

NeeHoo

Aspiring Musician

• Old Members
  • 43 posts
Hi guys,
I'm planning to get myself a laptop for mobile music production. As mobile as possible that is.
Can you recommend any options with decent battery life for a heavy usage (Cubase and samples library such as East West)?

I know that a normal powerful quadcore audio PC will die roughly after an hour.
I'm wondering if Macbook pro would be any better.

The reason? I like to compose outdoors, actually looking at the world around me instead of four walls (and I also spend a lot of time on the move). Right now I'm composing in Sibelius and an Eee PC netbook that has 7h battery life to offer.

But I'll need to be able to produce a bit more powerful mock-ups shortly.
Any ideas appreciated (apart from those like "It can't be done" ;)
"Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom."

Ferkungamabooboo

Ferkungamabooboo

i want to be somebody too

• Old Members
  • 2,398 posts
I have a slightly older macbook pro. I get about 4-5 hours of light browsing and 2 hours of processor-intensive use. Heavy use (like mixing, etc) can drain it in less than 1 1/2 hours.

Feel free to record a version of my works!
Contemporary classical music

Visit me on Facebook!
Wo shi Laoshi Ma

robinjessome

robinjessome

• Members
  • 5,317 posts
Any chance you could just....plug in your laptop? Why so much concern for battery life?

NeeHoo

NeeHoo

Aspiring Musician

• Old Members
  • 43 posts
Fergunkambobo,
Thanks for the info! So it seems that there might not be too much difference between PC and Mac in terms of battery life after all.

robinjessome,
The main reason is that I'm on the train quite often. But yes, I might have to consider finding a way of travelling closer to electric sockets ;)
"Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom."

NeeHoo

NeeHoo

Aspiring Musician

• Old Members
  • 43 posts
Sorry about mistyping your nick robinjessome, it's edited now ;)

maestrowick

maestrowick

Composer

• Members
  • 369 posts
The newer Mac's last about four hours. However, on the train there are plenty of sockets!

FatKidsLikeCake

FatKidsLikeCake

Advanced Composer

• Members
  • 214 posts
Uhhh buy a battery pack, the big ones that cost quite a money, You know the ones that are basically mobile car batteries. It'll get you the life you desire. http://www.thebatter...com/default.asp cheap ones

Tokkemon

Tokkemon

Composer, Trombonist

• Moderators
  • 4,716 posts
Not everyone's rich like you Drake... :eyebrow:

Mockingjay

Mockingjay

Formerly Inkweaver

• Old Members
  • 94 posts
I believe Macbook Pros have slightly longer battery life than PCs, but I don't know for sure. Any current laptop is going to run low on battery fairly quickly when running software as intensive as EWQLSO.

However - Macbook Pros do not have removable batteries, unlike PCs. For a PC, you could purchase a 12-cell battery instead of a standard 6-cell. This would extend the laptop's battery life a fair amount.
Check out my new work! Legend (REVISED)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users