• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Mcdovar

Mcdovar

Starving Musician

• Old Members
  • 5 posts
Hi!, I'm new to this site so I apologize if this is the wrong place to post

I had been looking for a free version of Sibelius or just a music notation program. After scouring the internet I found a program called Muse score http://musescore.org/.

It looks like a legit and cool program, but before I go downloading it I wanted to make see if any of you folks had used it before or had used a similiar program

Thanks!

Tokkemon

Tokkemon

Composer, Trombonist

• Moderators
  • 4,722 posts
Its junk.

No really, you get what you pay for.

Pony up and buy Sibelius if you're serious about composition. It will be the best decision you make.

maestrowick

maestrowick

Composer

• Members
  • 385 posts
^^^^or Finale!

tina3003

tina3003

Composer

• Old Members
  • 26 posts
If you dont wanna pay, get noteflight

jimcarry

jimcarry

Starving Musician

• Old Members
  • 1 posts
With 3,000,000 people having downloaded MuseScore, I imagine there must be quite a few of us doing interesting things with it. From newcomers to music software writing their first compositions, to hobbyists looking for a better, easier, and/or cheaper way to notate their music, to professional musicians, educators, and composers creating works for performance and even publication - I expect MuseScore is being used for all these things and more.
jimcarry

xrsbit

xrsbit

Seasoned Composer

• Old Members
  • 796 posts

With 3,000,000 people having downloaded MuseScore, I imagine there must be quite a few of us doing interesting things with it. From newcomers to music software writing their first compositions, to hobbyists looking for a better, easier, and/or cheaper way to notate their music, to professional musicians, educators, and composers creating works for performance and even publication - I expect MuseScore is being used for all these things and more.

'Sup MuseScore.

Riccled

Riccled

Starving Musician

• Members
  • 4 posts
I use Presonus's Notion 5 for my first choice score writing program,it's superb and much cheaper than Sibelius,plus it's very easy to use and you can use vsti's easily within it,I write my electronic music also with it.

pateceramics

pateceramics

Advanced Composer

• Members
  • 343 posts

This is a really old post, and Musescore has had quite a few upgrades since 2012.  It can turn out a nice score these days.  Sound files it comes with are still kind of cruddy, but you can always buy good quality sound libraries to use with it.  

p7rv

p7rv

Advanced Composer

• Members
  • 270 posts

you can always buy good quality sound libraries to use with it.  

There are many better quality (completely) free ones you can use, for instance https://musescore.or...dbook/soundfont . No need to shell out.

U238

U238

Advanced Composer

• Members
  • 312 posts

Why would you pay for quality sound libraries for a free entry level notation program? Musescore is a toy. Sibelius and Finale are professional level tools. I wouldn't recommend paying for Sibelius if you aren't interested in professional level functionality, and I wouldn't recommend musescore if you are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users