Interesting Moments

Bridge

Pretty self-explanatory. Post whatever musical moments you find to be interesting, whether it be an interesting piece of orchestration, a moody chord and/or voicing, an expressive melody, interesting rhythm, etc. - whatever makes you giddy. Obviously a YouTube link or a sound bite is required but it would also be preferable if you could post an image excerpt from the score if possible (or a link to the score with the page or measure number included) and also a few words about why you like the moment in question. I guess I'll start out with my favorite moment from Scriabin's Poem of Ecstasy (though I actually have a somewhat sizable and ever-growing folder full of moments I find interesting that I might post gradually:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeRkiHcRBCY&feature=player_detailpage#t=836

119uf6r.png

I love everything about this moment but the trombones are clearly the highlight. It's fascinating to me that a passage so profoundly beautiful owes its charm to the harsh tone of muted trombones playing forte and fortissimo. They are completely naked here and one can imagine a similar passage in a less balanced score being very unconvincing. Amazingly, and the conductor and players (Muti with the Philadelphia Orchestra) deserve no small praise for this, the trombones neither devour nor get devoured by the orchestra (in some other readings of this I've listened to the trombones generally sound too tinny and small.) The balance is just right and the result is truly spectacular as you will no doubt agree. The entire poem is pretty great in general, as is its sister piece Prometheus: The Poem of Fire which is arguably better. If you don't know these pieces I highly recommend going through them with the score which can be found here.

I look forward to hearing and discussing a lot of interesting music with you guys.

P.S. I apologize if such a thread already exists - A search yielded me nothing.

Edited by Bridge

Typical for me, I will go for something classical.
I love the start of the finale's development during Mozart's 40th. 

Someday, I will write a development using a similar technique, (twisting the main theme so that it uses all the chromatic scale, apart from the tonic.)

It starts here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gk9F1jjN3l0#t=223