Mass

waves

I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips about staying true to the period. I have listened to and sung countless pieces from the time, but I still don't think I'm getting it right.

Study the music. Don't just consume it, you need to internalize the structure. The great thing about the renaissance is that everything anyone did then is public domain now. Most of the books and surviving manuscripts can be found in your local libraries and the internet.

Try imslp.org

Find representative pieces and analyze them harmonically, structurally, texturally.

Thank you both for your insight. I will purchase Jeppesen's book and it would be wonderful if you could direct me to the newer texts as well.

I will check out imslp for more guidance.

The piece is set up in a sort of chorus semi chorus (plus individual soloists derived from the semi chorus). I wanted a way to make the non chorus parts stand out from the chorus parts.

Its just a bit samey at the moment. I have looked into verse anthems and the like for inspiration, but it is very difficult to separate the two within the limits of the period.