[Discussion] Jazz Theory

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

Mark

Mark

slihjtly looser

• Old Members
  • 5,708 posts
An excellent idea! I already know a fair bit about jazz theory but have still yet to do anything about applying it, class exercises or something similar might be a good idea, if you have the time.

*listens to Bill Evans trio*

:P

You just lost the game.

There is not a single post by you in which you don't sound terribly british, Mark.

robinjessome

robinjessome

• Members
  • 5,317 posts

An excellent idea! I already know a fair bit about jazz theory but have still yet to do anything about applying it, class exercises or something similar might be a good idea...

Cool! Exercises.

I'm not really sure where I'm going to go yet with this thread - any suggestions, questions, or areas you (or anyone) would like to cover? I hope this'll open up into some discussion - I don't want to be just throwing random knowledge at you folks.

Mike

Mike

• Old Members
  • 5,411 posts
You might consider extending the simple triadic examples above by moving onto more complex flavours of figured bass. :)
"If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right."

- Mary Kay Ash

Mark

Mark

slihjtly looser

• Old Members
  • 5,708 posts
I'd very much like to learn more about how I can apply any of the knowledge I have of jazz harmony etc and apply it to my other music, but that sort of thing may have to wait until you've covered basic jazz theory in a purely jazz context.

I'd like to learn a little more about the theory behind modal jazz, I understand the modes and how to apply them, but I've never had much success improvising over so what, for example.

You just lost the game.

There is not a single post by you in which you don't sound terribly british, Mark.

Mark

Mark

slihjtly looser

• Old Members
  • 5,708 posts

You might consider extending the simple triadic examples above by moving onto more complex flavours of figured bass. :)

Figured bass and jazz, YAY!

You just lost the game.

robinjessome

robinjessome

• Members
  • 5,317 posts

Okay, - I'll use basic 7th chords as our starting point, I just want to make sure everyone understands the construction of diatonic chords.

Now, when you say 'figured bass', I hope you're just meaning Roman Numeral indications of scale degrees...I don't have a firm grasp of actual figured bass (6, 6/9 inversions etc. ??)

I'd very much like to learn more about how I can apply any of the knowledge I have of jazz harmony etc and apply it to my other music...

I'd like to learn a little more about the theory behind modal jazz, I understand the modes and how to apply them, but I've never had much success improvising over so what, for example.

Okay, thanks for the input. This'll give this thread a bit more direction and purpose.

bob_the_sane

bob_the_sane

Failed

• Old Members
  • 1,273 posts
Thanks for this Robin, I'm looking forward to learning lots.:)
I don't really have any suggestions, whatever you want to teach, I'll try and learn.:)

Stop being so rational. :P

spherenine

spherenine

Sexy Composer

• Old Members
  • 1,122 posts
That's a B half diminished, bud.

robinjessome

robinjessome

• Members
  • 5,317 posts

That's a B half diminished, bud.

HAHAHAHA....oops.

Fixed.

Rafn

Rafn

Advanced Composer

• Old Members
  • 225 posts
Robin, I have a question: When a piece/song is composed in a certain mode like locrian or whatnot, does the normal key signature have to be there? Example, if it was in B major, would you have to to have 5 sharps and still naturalize them every time, or would it be the key signature of C?

Thanks.
I dont believe in music-making that is only copying all things which have been done before. We must take care of commissioning [new music]we cannot live in a museum. This must be living art. If it is challenging for the players, it might be a challenge for the audience too, but that risk we must take if we are to do well. -Osmo Vanska

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users