Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My first timpani concerto, written almost a year ago for a friend of mine who wanted something new.
I apologize for the third movement. It's written that you use a superball and cymbal bowing on the timpani but of course my program cannot replicate. If you encounter one of these sections feel free to fast forward (there's a lot of silence) until there's actual written material.
Enjoy.

MP3
0:00
0:00
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll note you here so you'll get a notification: @Monarcheon

I don't know how to fast forward on this site XD

I'm going to listen to the whole thing and write while listening and following the notes once in a while.

 

My teachers told me to never use timpani more than once or twice in a piece, to keep it a special thing.

You can hear in my Battle piece that I didn't really listen to them XD, yet I wonder... 

Did you choose timpani because it's special... or because you liked the way it sounds so much that you wanted it to last through the whole piece?

Or did you have another reason for that?

 

Also, what did you mean when you wrote a downbow above the timpani notes?

And by glissando do you mean the player should tune the timpani while the sound is still going?

 

The end sounded tragic, he probably couldn't escape after all...

For me, as a person who doesn't use to having lots of timpani in a piece it was a bit... too much,

but I guess that the person you wrote it for wasn't like me...?

I did like the rhythm changes, it kept the piece interesting.

 

Overall... I enjoyed the piece, there was a bit too much timpani there but I think that in general it's been a good special piece.

Thanks for sharing it here.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rabbival507 said:

My teachers told me to never use timpani more than once or twice in a piece, to keep it a special thing.

You can hear in my Battle piece that I didn't really listen to them XD, yet I wonder... 

Did you choose timpani because it's special... or because you liked the way it sounds so much that you wanted it to last through the whole piece?

Or did you have another reason for that?

I wrote for it because I was told to. Nothing special about it. Maybe you didn't see that this piece was a timpani concerto, meaning the piece features timpani as a soloist. Even if you did, your teachers are wrong for limiting your use of the instrument you like. Just use it correctly.

5 minutes ago, Rabbival507 said:

Also, what did you mean when you wrote a downbow above the timpani notes?

And by glissando do you mean the player should tune the timpani while the sound is still going?

When you place a cymbal on a timpani and bow the edge of it, it rings with the fundamental pitch of the timpani.
Yes, the glissando does imply that. 

5 minutes ago, Rabbival507 said:

The end sounded tragic, he probably couldn't escape after all...

For me, as a person who doesn't use to having lots of timpani in a piece it was a bit... too much,

but I guess that the person you wrote it for wasn't like me...?

I did like the rhythm changes, it kept the piece interesting.

Percussionists live in rhythm, so the part with the metric modulation was to make it harder rhythmically as well as notationally. 

My thanks for the quick reply!

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Hm... i am laying down, closing eyes & letting imagination free. A scene of the main protagonist trying to escape could easilly fit with this music. Some times i feel anxious, other i feel possitive & hope that he will make it. He seems not very ok, tired, but he need to be carreful! Enemies are everywhere. For me the sound of timpani reminds me the danger, the heartbeat, my opinion is that there is no need to limit it only to one or two times in that case. In world music you can hear timpani sound for hours. Other times one or two times yee, are enough. In this case, in this work its seems fine. 

Its just my opinion, i am not so good on giving advices, :) but i think, for me,  it is very ready. it might be great for a adventure movie/ or animation/ or adventure games. The timpani reminds me ancient or medieval times too.

Awesome try Monarcheon Keep up the good work!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dream Sown said:

 

Hm... i am laying down, closing eyes & letting imagination free. A scene of the main protagonist trying to escape could easilly fit with this music. Some times i feel anxious, other i feel possitive & hope that he will make it. He seems not very ok, tired, but he need to be carreful! Enemies are everywhere. For me the sound of timpani reminds me the danger, the heartbeat, my opinion is that there is no need to limit it only to one or two times in that case. In world music you can hear timpani sound for hours. Other times one or two times yee, are enough. In this case, in this work its seems fine. 

Its just my opinion, i am not so good on giving advices, :) but i think, for me,  it is very ready. it might be great for a adventure movie/ or animation/ or adventure games. The timpani reminds me ancient or medieval times too.

Awesome try Monarcheon Keep up the good work!

 

 

 

I appreciate it, but very few of my works have any scene or visuals in mind when I write them. It's interesting to hear what other people think though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

It's creepy and mysterious to me. It could serve as great background music for a creepy scene. At the same time, it's really dramatic, so it could symbolize a character escaping something. Well written of orchestrated, as always from you. I love the sound effects. It's very modern in tonality and texture. Great job!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...