Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
fililando

Serenade for Strings

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone! Recently this piece of mine premiered in Florence, Italy. Despite the tiny amount of rehearsal time (45 minutes only) I am quite happy with the result. 

The piece is dedicated to my grandma. The four movements describe the different stages of the Alzheimer’s desease. The themes in the first movement evolve and destroy themselves during the piece, as my grandma’s mind was losing all her memories. 

Any feedback is appreciated!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Impressive! I like it a lot.

In some parts it reminds me of Puccini (Crisantemi), also the writing of Richard Strauss.

But this one speaks by itself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such rich harmonies and sonorities! I liked this a lot, but my favorite movement was the Danza. You're very good at writing (and scoring) for strings! I'm glad you were able to have this performed—it certainly deserved it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I happen to be a neurologist who treats Alzheimer's patients so I found your background of this piece quite intriguing.  Like Tonskald, the Danza movement was my favorite but this is a splendid work all around.  There is great balance among the parts which would make it fun to play.  The violas especially would welcome the interesting part writing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very impressive! Beautiful string writing all around. I have one minor critique: The first movement repeat (bar 18) to the beginning seems...disjointed. Bar 18 is a perfect setup for the next section, but its a little jarring when it repeats to the beginning. But overall, great job! The orchestra sounds marvelous as well!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @fililando, thanks for posting!

I really enjoyed that. The lyrical character caught me from the first bar all the way throught the 14min. Nice score and life recording....Harmony remind me sometimes of Mahler.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 7:46 PM, Luis Hernández said:

Impressive! I like it a lot.

In some parts it reminds me of Puccini (Crisantemi), also the writing of Richard Strauss.

But this one speaks by itself.

 

Thank you. Since I was born in his same region, I am happy I reminded you Puccini!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 10:00 PM, Tónskáld said:

Such rich harmonies and sonorities! I liked this a lot, but my favorite movement was the Danza. You're very good at writing (and scoring) for strings! I'm glad you were able to have this performed—it certainly deserved it.

 

Thank you for listening. Still a lot to learn though eheh..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 10:32 PM, bkho said:

I happen to be a neurologist who treats Alzheimer's patients so I found your background of this piece quite intriguing.  Like Tonskald, the Danza movement was my favorite but this is a splendid work all around.  There is great balance among the parts which would make it fun to play.  The violas especially would welcome the interesting part writing.

 

That's great Bkho! It's a horrible disease and I am happy there are people like you who help people in need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 11:55 PM, danishali903 said:

Very impressive! Beautiful string writing all around. I have one minor critique: The first movement repeat (bar 18) to the beginning seems...disjointed. Bar 18 is a perfect setup for the next section, but its a little jarring when it repeats to the beginning. But overall, great job! The orchestra sounds marvelous as well!

 

Thanks for the helpful feedback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your harmonic palette is very colorful and expressive. I think it is very beautiful. Also I like those original and coloristic rhythms in finale. I think your Serenade is a bright and interesting composition. The cycle is diverse in a character but uniform in a style. Cool! Excuse me for my terrible English. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...