Jump to content

aMusicComposer
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is a Christmas carol for SATB chorus, based on William Shakespeare's poem "Song of the Holly"

Edited by aMusicComposer
MP3
0:00
0:00
PDF
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was a pleasure to listen to it. The effect of contrasting voices and how they drop out and come in was fine. Sometimes, the voice leading could have been a tad more polyphonic,  but that depends on your style. However, I think the music could do more to convey the meaning of the text, especially the contrast between the lines about ingratitude etc and than the refrain where the holly reminds the author that life can be jolly. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Willibald said:

It was a pleasure to listen to it. The effect of contrasting voices and how they drop out and come in was fine. Sometimes, the voice leading could have been a tad more polyphonic,  but that depends on your style. However, I think the music could do more to convey the meaning of the text, especially the contrast between the lines about ingratitude etc and than the refrain where the holly reminds the author that life can be jolly. 

 

Thank you very much for these kind comments! 

I'm planning to add a basic string accompaniment to provide some depth to it, and some polyphony.

When you talk about conveying the meaning of the text, do you mean thinking about the emotions behind it and incorporating them into the music?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Willibald Here is the string + chorus arrangement

MP3
0:00
0:00
PDF
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks. Sounds good! Some small remarks:

You have a very strong bass, with three independent voices (choir, cello, contrabass). It’s fine as the contrabass makes some chords more harmonious (like the first one, where the choir sings a F Major chord in second inversion, but the contrabass transforms it back into root position), but it can sound a bit bass-heavy in a real performance. It is also difficult to pull off in terms of voice leading.

Minor quibbles: I guess you did use those transposing bass clefs for the contrabass to get an accurate MIDI output. In a real score, you would just use a normal bass clef; the contrabass player is accustomed to playing an octave lower than notated. In the alto, you have one wrong notehead (for percussion instead a normal one) in the first bar. This happens again in the third bar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Willibald said:

You have a very strong bass, with three independent voices (choir, cello, contrabass). It’s fine as the contrabass makes some chords more harmonious (like the first one, where the choir sings a F Major chord in second inversion, but the contrabass transforms it back into root position), but it can sound a bit bass-heavy in a real performance. It is also difficult to pull off in terms of voice leading.

Thanks. Should I make the cello play more of a tenor range or just specify e.g. that I only need a few contrabasses?

21 hours ago, Willibald said:

Minor quibbles: I guess you did use those transposing bass clefs for the contrabass to get an accurate MIDI output. In a real score, you would just use a normal bass clef; the contrabass player is accustomed to playing an octave lower than notated. In the alto, you have one wrong notehead (for percussion instead a normal one) in the first bar. This happens again in the third bar.

MuseScore automatically writes contrabass in that clef. I will be able to change it. I hadn't noticed that in the alto voice. I must have clicked copy + paste and the cross notehead repeated. 

Edited by aMusicComposer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Nice job!  Think carefully about the places where you split the tenor line.  Tenor is almost always the smallest section in a choir, so if possible, you generally want to give the extra line to the bass or alto instead, or it may be too quiet to be heard.  For example, at measure 5, the tenor is the only divided part, so both tenor parts will probably sound very quiet compared to the other voices.  You can easily give the top tenor line to the altos instead.  It's easily in their range, and they are coming from a C in measure 4, so they will have no problem finding it.  (:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice piece!

The counterpoint sounds fine to me and I like the harmonies.
The ending sounds a bit abrupt in my opinion. Maybe you could make it more logical?

6 hours ago, aMusicComposer said:

I'm wondering whether the whole thing could have a fuller harmony. Do you think this too?

 

Well, the music sounds really full already, so I would not compose an even fuller harmony.
Nothing wrong with space between voices.

Well done!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...