Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

First of all I will show the corrected version of the piece, right here:

 

It is scored for 1 flute, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassons, 2 high horns in C, 2 trumpets in C, timpani (C,G,D,A), and strings.

The compositiong plays around themes exposed in a sort exposition. The tonal travel is C-->G for the exposition then Cm-->Abm-->A-->F-->Bb-->(Gm-->Bbm-->C#m-->Em)x2 and finally the reexposition in C major.

The movement is in sonata form, but is has some surprises.

If you have any feedback please leave a comment.

 

Version with mistakes:

 

Edited by Ivan1791
PDF
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bryla said:

Could you upload the score as a PDF?

 

I guess I can. Not sure about how to do it tho, but I will try later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bryla said:

Could you upload the score as a PDF?

 

Done. I edited the post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Left Unexplained said:

like the exact song

 

What? I haven't ever played a Pokemon game. I didn't even see the anime. Send link if you are sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ivan1791 said:

What? I haven't ever played a Pokemon game. I didn't even see the anime. Send link if you are sure.

 

can't find it, but Im pretty sure its in a pokemon game, or maybe super smash bros? I'm not saying you stole it Im just saying Ive definitely heard that exact song in a video game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Left Unexplained said:

can't find it, but Im pretty sure its in a pokemon game, or maybe super smash bros? I'm not saying you stole it Im just saying Ive definitely heard that exact song in a video game

 

Weird. I mean, the melody of the second theme follows a pretty common harmonic structure so it wouldn't surprise me if it is similar to other compositions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At m22, 0:38 (ish) in the song, you have the violas playing a C5 chord when the rest of the orchestra is playing a G7. It clashes a bit and I just wanted to make sure it was intentional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Left Unexplained said:

can't find it, but Im pretty sure its in a pokemon game, or maybe super smash bros? I'm not saying you stole it Im just saying Ive definitely heard that exact song in a video game

 

I hear it, too @Left Unexplained. It's the bit right after 0:38. @Ivan1791, I don't think it's the exact song but the chord progessions are the same. Plus the midi rendering sounds an awful lot like the songs in the games.

Edit: This is not a criticism. I found it interesting is all. I think your symphony sounds just lovely!

Edited by Tónskáld
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tónskáld said:

At m22, 0:38 (ish) in the song, you have the violas playing a C5 chord when the rest of the orchestra is playing a G7. It clashes a bit and I just wanted to make sure it was intentional.

 

No, that's totally my mistake. Thanks for telling me. If you read the description of the video you will understand why I did that mistake. (I haven't heard the Musescore3 rendering yet, I want a friend to listen to it before me.) 

If you see other mistakes please tell me, because the violas and clarinets can confuse me a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tónskáld said:

I hear it, too @Left Unexplained. It's the bit right after 0:38. @Ivan1791, I don't think it's the exact song but the chord progessions are the same. Plus the midi rendering sounds an awful lot like the songs in the games.

Edit: This is not a criticism. I found it interesting is all. I think your symphony sounds just lovely!

 

Interesting, also glad you liked it. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tónskáld Interesting, I didn't even really notice the clash. The beginning of the piece sounds to me, like a theme Mozart might use. For your first try at writing a symphony, this is great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, caters said:

@Tónskáld Interesting, I didn't even really notice the clash. The beginning of the piece sounds to me, like a theme Mozart might use. For your first try at writing a symphony, this is great.

 

Yes, this symphony is heavily inspired in Mozart and Beethoven. Glad you liked the work. Any critique? I also want people to point mistakes that are more subtle, like a melody or harmony that doesn't sound convincing haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ivan1791 said:

Yes, this symphony is heavily inspired in Mozart and Beethoven. Glad you liked the work. Any critique? I also want people to point mistakes that are more subtle, like a melody or harmony that doesn't sound convincing haha. 

 

I couldn't find an unconvincing harmony or melody in your symphony. The only trouble I could see with getting this performed is the Horn in C. Back in the times of Mozart and Beethoven, Horn in C was very common. But nowadays, virtually all horns are made as Horns in F. I don't know if Horns in C are even made anymore or how common they are if they are still made to this day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, caters said:

I couldn't find an unconvincing harmony or melody in your symphony. The only trouble I could see with getting this performed is the Horn in C. Back in the times of Mozart and Beethoven, Horn in C was very common. But nowadays, virtually all horns are made as Horns in F. I don't know if Horns in C are even made anymore or how common they are if they are still made to this day.

 

Good point. I did this piece with a very classical mindset. As you can see the horns and trumpets are playing notes of the harmonic series (or close to them). But if in the future I try to make another symphony I will probably use a more modern orchestration, but not much bigger because I still need to learn the basics of orchestration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The horn players will transpose the C part to an F part. It's part of learning horn! 

I think the symphony contains some good ideas. How many clarinets are there? The opening only has one line, but further through there a two notes at a time. Marking "A2" at the start would be helpful.

Bar 43 - the harmony sounds a bit out of place within the symphony. Moving in parallel triads is not always a good harmonic move. The phrases after that also sound harmonically strange.

Overall, good work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aMusicComposer said:

The horn players will transpose the C part to an F part. It's part of learning horn! 

I think the symphony contains some good ideas. How many clarinets are there? The opening only has one line, but further through there a two notes at a time. Marking "A2" at the start would be helpful.

Bar 43 - the harmony sounds a bit out of place within the symphony. Moving in parallel triads is not always a good harmonic move. The phrases after that also sound harmonically strange.

Overall, good work!

 

I know that part of horn, but I kind of copied the instrumentation Wagner used for his symphony. 

It needs 2 clarinets. What do you mean with A2 exactly? 

With the last part of the comment you refer to the developement? Yes, I guess I has a more modern style. But moving the instrumets that was was on purpose, I wanted it to create expectation using the G pedal note so once the fortissimo starts it is a big surprise but also kind of expected something was odd. 

Thank you for the feedback. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats a lovely first movement. Indeed it sounds very mozartian style, which I find absolutely good.

The musical ideas and diferent sections are very clear, coherent and comprehesive, so my congratulations for your first movement. Great job!

Im looking forward for the following movements :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Guillem82 said:

Thats a lovely first movement. Indeed it sounds very mozartian style, which I find absolutely good.

The musical ideas and diferent sections are very clear, coherent and comprehesive, so my congratulations for your first movement. Great job!

Im looking forward for the following movements 🙂

 

Really glad to see you liked it. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ivan1791 said:

It needs 2 clarinets. What do you mean with A2 exactly?

Writing "a2" above the first note of a passage indicates that both instrument parts will be playing. It's primarily only used for winds and brass, since the string section has much more than 2 players per instrument. If you just want one of the instruments to be playing, you write "1" or "2" (depending on which player you want playing) above the first note of passge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tónskáld said:

Writing "a2" above the first note of a passage indicates that both instrument parts will be playing. It's primarily only used for winds and brass, since the string section has much more than 2 players per instrument. If you just want one of the instruments to be playing, you write "1" or "2" (depending on which player you want playing) above the first note of passge.

 

Oh okay, although in this symphony I thought it would be okay to give that choice to the musicians that play the symphony. (I doubt it will ever be played by a real orchestra haha.) But you are right, I will use that next time if I feel like it is necessary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, technically it's ok I guess, but sorry for being sincere, I think this symphony is too much a copy of later classical works. I mean, if that was the purpose, it's good and has a nice modern touch, but it lacks some inovation I guess. Im no expert though and liked a lot to hear it all!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, antimusicale said:

I mean, technically it's ok I guess, but sorry for being sincere, I think this symphony is too much a copy of later classical works. I mean, if that was the purpose, it's good and has a nice modern touch, but it lacks some inovation I guess. Im no expert though and liked a lot to hear it all!!

 

What works am I copying? I got inspiration from Mozart's Jupiter and Beethovens Eroica, but I don't think I'm copying that much.

Anyway it doesn't matter because now that I have heard what I created I'm simply ashamed of it. My biggest failure by far. I will just try to forget I ever composed that piece of rubbish, I knew I did some mistakes but the reality was too bad honestly and I got really annoyed with myself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...